Intranet user experience should be at the core of your intranet solution. A smoth user experience will encourage engagement, a concept that is key to a successful intranet. This blog sets out some simple how-tos for achieving great user experience. Download our free intranet engagement download for more helpful advice on creating an intranet that youe end users want to use.
According to Neilsen Norman intranet usability is a quality attribute that is widely used to help evaluate how easy user interfaces are to use. It’s also used to describe the method of improving ease of use during the intranet design process.
Neilsen Norman go on to detail the 5 quality components of usability as being:
- Learnability: How easy is it for users to complete basic tasks the first time they encounter the design?
- Efficiency: Once users have learned the design, how quickly can they perform tasks?
- Memorability: When users return to the design after a period of not using it, how easily can they re-establish proficiency?
- Errors: How many errors do users make, how severe are these errors, and how easily can they recover from the errors?
- Satisfaction: How pleasant is it to use the design?
You can see there is more to creating a positive intranet user experience than design alone. Before you even start to think about the end solution, good intranet usability will only be possible if you know what it is you are trying to achieve. Your intranet’s usability could be enhanced by:
- Understanding the business objectives and rationale of creating a new intranet
- Engaging with technical experts to make sure you are considering the right type of solution for your organisation.
- Understanding your end users pain points and challenges with the current intranet and their roles, functions and processes.
- Absorbing feedback from your end users and create and engaging design that fulfils your business objectives.
- Keeping your intranet content up to date. Out of date content is a sure way to create a negative experience and see engagement levels tail off.
- Commiting to a cycle of continuous improvement to adapt to changing business needs and improve current business processes.
Above all, if you want to create a great intranet user experience, you need to invest the time to use your expertise and insight and that of your intranet steering committee to create the solution that fits your business.
To help further, SORCE have created a guide on how to manage your intranet which may offer further insight into your intranet journey and the importance of understanding your users.