Every intranet project needs an owner to make things happen and ensure resources are in place. Your project owner will be wholly responsible for your intranet’s progress and timely delivery. Their guidance will help to prioritise the areas of your intranet’s functionality.
This individual will be responsible for the overall successful planning, execution, monitoring and control of the intranet project. They will need to keep the project on track and ensure it is completed within timeframes so motivating staff will be a key skill.
The project owner will go through the following six stages that we call the Intranet journey:-
From our experience, each stage of this journey should not be looked at in isolation.
Each journey stage is constantly evolving and you will notice overlap with other stages. For example, you may be launching your intranet but that doesn’t mean you have stopped planning your next phase.
A good project owner will undertake the following:-
- Give guidance on your intranet project’s overall vision and strategy.
- Supervise the processes, procedures, budget and monitor the project.
- Ensure that the project has the necessary resources.
- Liaise with senior sponsor on a regular basis.
- Identify the objective of the intranet by assessing business needs.
- Ensure that the intranet’s objectives stay aligned to corporate and business needs.
At the end of the project they will need to hand the day to day responsibilities over to your intranet manager or take on those tasks themselves.
Securing the right type of individual to run your project will help you achieve a successful intranet that meets the needs of your organisation.